Yay! I’ve been nominated by Matt from Hostelgeeks for a Liebster Award! Thanks Matt!
A Liebster Award is an award given by bloggers to help put new blogs on the map and connect one another through our travel stories. Each nominee is given a set of questions determined by the blogger that nominated them and has to pay it forward by nominating other bloggers for the same award. It’s a win-win!
Here are Matt’s questions and my responses:
What is the best hostel you have ever stayed at?
I have stayed in so many hostels over the years, but only a few come to mind as my favorites. NapPark in Bangkok was my first real hostel experience and I hold it near and dear to my heart. It had such a fun vibe and I met so many amazing backpackers whom I’m still friends with even almost 3 years later.
How would you describe your blog/ website in a few sentences?
My blog is about backpacking travel with a little bit of adventure sprinkled in there. I love writing about my funny and exciting travel experiences from backpacking around the world solo and with friends. I also aim to encourage others struck by wanderlust to hit the road!
What’s your top 3 food around the world?
Spanish salmorejo (essentially cold tomato soup), barbecued meat sandwich from Morocco, and pad thai from the little side street stands in Thailand.
Where would you like to live once in your life?
I’d love to live in New Zealand. It looks like another world over there!
In your own words: What is traveling for you?
Traveling is opening yourself up to cultures and places that are unlike your home. It’s about broadening your horizons and stepping out of your comfort zone and learning to connect with people from all over the world.
What are your 3 secret recommendations for your hometown or your favorite city?
For my old home of NYC my recommendations are:
- Walk along the High Line, it’s a park that was converted from old elevated train tracks
- Go to a boozy all-you-can-drink brunch. You (probably, despite the hangover) won’t regret it!
- Check out the flea markets and weekend food market called Smorgasburg in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. I love tasting different little snacks from the food stands.
Nature or City? Mountain or Beach? What do you choose?
I’ve lived in cities for the past few years and love the hustle and bustle, but when I travel I’m a nature girl at heart. I’ve always loved the beach but lately I’ve been really drawn to the mountains. I loved being in the mountains in Darjeeling, India and being able to see the Himalayas. My dream is to trek the Annapurna Circuit the next time I visit Nepal.
Do you have a funny/ weird/ even dangerous animal story from the road?
This isn’t that dangerous, but my second night in Bangkok I ate a scorpion and I was so grossed out that I almost vomited it up all over Khao San Road. Does a scorpion count as an animal?
In a few words: How does the perfect travel experience for you look like?
Eating/drinking as the locals do, spontaneous experiences, and making new friends.
What’s your next travel destination?
My next big travel destination is Central and South America in September. I am beyond excited to explore this part of the world!
And there you have it! Oh wait, here’s the exciting part. My nominees are…
My questions are…
1. Is there a place that you WOULDN’T want to visit? Why?
2. If you could learn one foreign language, what would it be?
3. Where have you felt like you’re “home” during your travels?
4. What’s the worst thing you’ve ever eaten while on the road?
5. What’s your favorite mode of transportation?
6. Do you prefer traveling solo or with friends?
7. Is there a place you keep going back to, or do you only travel to destinations that are new to you?
8. If you could pick any travel gadget to take with you on your next trip, what would it be?
9. What is your scariest travel memory?
10. Why do you travel?